Shock is a pool chemical that you can find at just about any pool supply store. There are different types of shock treatments, but the two most common are chlorinated and non-chlorinated. The main reason you use shock in a pool is to clear up any algae in your pool. Swimming pools, both in-ground and above-ground swimming pools, may grow algae if their water levels become imbalanced. When a pool’s chlorine or pH is too low, there’s a chance that algae can grow. Other reasons to use shock in your pool include strange water odor and murky water.

Which Type of Shock Should I Use?

The two main types of shock have different purposes. The chlorinated version of shock is more effective at removing algae from a pool. A non-chlorinated version may struggle to remove algae if there’s a lot. To know whether you need to use chlorinated or non-chlorinated shock, take a look at your pool. If your pool water has a slight green tint, you may be better off with a non-chlorinated version. If your pool water is very green or dark, you may need a chlorinated shock treatment instead. If your pool has a vinyl liner, try to find a product meant for that type of pool. Some pool shock products can damage vinyl-lined pools.

How Much Shock Should I Use?

Unfortunately, there’s no hard and fast rule to go by when it comes to pool shock. Your pool may require more shock or less shock depending on your individual situation. As you become a seasoned pool owner, you’ll be able to get pretty good at guessing. If it’s your first time shocking your pool, start by reading your product’s suggestions on how to treat your pool. This is a good place to start and usually can clear up any amount of algae. You may need multiple treatments at the beginning of pool season if your water has gotten out of control though.

How Do I Put Shock into My Pool?

The best thing to do is to reference your product’s instruction. However, a safe bet is to always premix your shock into a bucket of water. When you use this method, make sure all the shock dissolves in your bucket before putting it into your pool. If you put some shock products in your pool without premixing them, they can cause damage to your pool’s liner. It’s also important to remove any pool accessories from your pool when you give it a shock treatment. Some types of shock may actually make your pool water turn a slight green. If this happens, you probably have an issue with cyanuric acid levels in your pool and will need to get that squared away before swimming in it.

Pool Shock in Sacramento

Using pool shock for the first time may seem like a big deal, however, it’s easier than you think. If you need more information come visit All Seasons Pools & Spas in the Sacramento area.  While you’re here, we can help you with any other pool or hot tub related questions. If you would like to learn more about how to take care of your pool so it never gets algae, visit our blog. There’s plenty of tips there to help you maintain your pool’s water.